Friday, June 22, 2007

Bridge to Terabithia, a children's book and a feature film

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Patterson
What a powerful book about friendship! Jess and Leslie, two children from vastly different worlds become the best of friends. They escape to a make believe world of Terabithia. The two personalities complement each other as Jess accepts and respects Leslie for who she is and teaches Leslie about life in their rural town. Leslie, in turn, teaches Jess about the world all around and especially their own world of make believe.
This story has a very moving ending. I am not ashamed to admit I cried through the tragedy and loss of Jess' friend. Anyone who has lost someone close to them can identify with Jess' reaction in the situation. His disbelief, anger and ability to disconnect with reality are strategies he uses to cope. We finally see Jess able to understand and move beyond, with help from the memory of Leslie. What a wonderful book to help children deal with the issue of death and the loss of a special friend.
I also reviewed the movie, a recent release. I liked the movie but I am sure I would have liked it more if I had not read the book previously. The book focuses on the relationship between Jess and Leslie, their escape into Terabithia seemed secondary. In the movie the imaginations of the world of Terabithia seemed to be the primary focus. The special effects crew surely outdid themselves with such fantastical characters, but that is not the focus of the book. Many parts of the movie were not part of the book. Janice Avery becoming friends with Jess? No way! Not ever, couldn't happen! Jess' father was portrayed differently as well. He seemed more harsh with Jess in the movie, in the book he seemed preoccupied. I wonder how authors feel about the treatment of their characters in movies. Are they pleased with the results or, are they disappointed? How much control do they have?
I enjoyed Bridge to Terabithia and I would like to read some more of her work, especially her medal and honor selections such as: Jacob Have I Loved, The Great Gilly Hopkins, and The Master Puppeteer. Her characters in Bridge to Terabithia were strong and true, very believable. I would like to see if that trait is evident in her other books.

No comments: