Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My Friend Rabbit, A Caldecott Award Winning Book

My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann
How many times have we heard from a child, "I've got an idea"? Rohmann creates an entertaining story of a rabbit who has an idea. While Rabbit and Mouse are playing with their plane one day the plane becomes stuck in a tree. Rabbit states that he has an idea to get the plane out of the tree. Of course, according to Mouse, whatever Rabbit does, wherever he goes, trouble follows. What a great point this would be to stop and ask children, "What might Rabbit's idea be? How could there be trouble? What would you do?"
I absolutely loved the page where we, the reader, get an inkling of what Rabbit's idea could be. The wonderful illustration shows the tail and backside of an animal. What animal could this be? You read on to see Rabbit create a tower of animals to reach high enough to retrieve the plane. (What a strong rabbit he is!) Of course, trouble does follow!
The story is presented with minimal text and rich, vibrant illustrations. I enjoyed the expressions of the animals and the action shown in the pictures. The illustrations are strong enough to carry the meaning of the story, even without reading the text. I enjoyed the character of Rabbit and his creative approach to problem solving. I am sure young readers will appreciate his ideas as well.

No comments: