Monday, June 11, 2007

The Mark Twain Murders, A Laurence Yep book

The Mark Twain Murders by Laurence Yep
I must say I was left with a somewhat lukewarm response to this book. I can't say that I truly liked or hated the story. The history fan in me enjoyed learning about San Francisco during the Civil War as well as the fact that Mark Twain had once been a reporter.
I had a difficult time trying to keep up with the characters in the story. The various supporting characters and the fast pace of the plot were hard for me to follow. Perhaps because I did not read the story in its entirety at one sitting and took many breaks from the story line I became confused.
I did like that the author included information about the geography of San Francisco, Greek Fire and what a monitor was at the bottom of the page. This was very helpful and assisted in my understanding of these concepts. I grew somewhat tired of Mark Twain always replying with y-a-a-s although I understand the author wanted to use this technique to establish his voice and personality. I liked the fact that the author makes Twain a hero at the end of the tale, showing that with self respect and determination he was able to solve the mystery.
I especially liked the fact that the author uses a real person to create a fictional story. I think this would be an interesting writing prompt to use with students in which they could choose a historical figure and event to create their own fictional account.
I have not read any other Laurence Yep books. He did win a 1976 Newbery Award for Dragonwings. I would like to read another book by Yep but perhaps I should give the next book the attention and focus it deserves.
Other titles by Yep (not a complete listing of his works)
Dragon of the Lost Sea, Dragon Cauldron, Dragon Steel, Dragon's Gate, Dragon War, Tiger Magic: The Tiger's Apprentice, The Amah, Dream Soul

No comments: